Living in a luxury home means being afforded other non-traditional luxuries, as well; the ability to improve the environment and limit your carbon footprint by “going green.” People assume that “living green” means giving up modern conveniences, depriving oneself of nice things or putting much more time and energy into the environmentally-friendly movement. In fact, it is a lot easier to go and stay green with technology making the incredible strides that it is. Furnishing a luxury home in a more eco-friendly way can be done in four easy steps:
1) Think: sustainable wood. This is much easier on the environment because it does not involve stripping forests and carelessly cutting down bundles of trees. In fact, it could be called recycled wood; it is often taken from old furniture and refurnished into something new. Reasonably priced, you can find just about anything made from sustainable wood.
2) Think: recycled materials. This is actually a growing trend in the modern environmentally-friendly home. Lines of furniture are being promoted, all from recycled materials. Anything can be recycled and add something unique to your luxury home.
3) Think: durability. Choose furniture that is going to last you a while. If you are constantly having to replace furniture, it takes much more time and energy than finding something to do the job for a good while. In fact, tired furniture doesn’t need to be tossed right away; a nice new paint job can spruce anything up again. If you do have to throw it out, think about making it a hand-me-down instead.
4) Think: bamboo! Bamboo is one of the greenest materials that can be used because it grows so quickly! It is easy to grow and replace, making it difficult to run out of. It is durable, can withstand weathering and the normal wear and tear of a household. It’s great for outdoors, but makes a great indoor set of furniture, too.
In the end, the environment cannot be replenished as quickly as most would believe; we need to do our part to make sure we are not going without in generations to come. Individually, we can do our part to be more eco-friendly around the house. Furniture has never been greener, and taking advantage of it is easy. Luxury living is nothing but enhanced by furnishing your home in a way that is environmentally-conscious. Along side the issue of “greener” furniture, there are luxury items that have gone green, as well:
1) Logitech has come out with a new cordless/wireless solar keyboard that has panels allowing charge using indoor or outdoor lighting. Disposable batteries, countless tangled wires are a thing of the past!
2) The new WeWood watches put the “luxury” into luxury living. These watches are made out of sustainable wood and are charming and beautiful items to have. They are 100% recyclable and biodegradable, making them a very eco-friendly addition to any home!
3) In the same way, there are now earphones made entirely of sustainable wood. Playing off of the excellent resonation quality that is food in wood, the earphones are recyclable, convenient and very green.
Technology is a big reason why the environment is suffering so much; electronic goods are the cause of much waste that piles up, not recycled, each year. Technology is also a great tool for becoming green and maintaining that lifestyle in the home, it just depends on how it is used. Be cautious, get informed and think greener when transforming your house into a luxury home.